Friday, July 27, 2012

I Spy: Note Recognition

My kids struggle with the names of notes.  They can recognize a quarter note, play them in patterns, in many cases tell you how many beats they receive but they always seem to stumble on the names.  I have tried incorporating different games and activities to work on vocabulary but I want a new one for this school year.

I think I'm going to try a version of "I Spy".  Here's what I'm going to do.

Before the kids come:
1.  Cut out quarter/eighth/half notes and rests in various colors.
2.  Place the notes throughout the room (should be visible).

Playing the Game:
1. This will be a game we play in line.
2. Teacher says I spy a blue quarter note.
3. The first team (I line my kids up in two separate lines boys and girls) to raise their hand and
identify the blue quarter note get a point.
4. Keep tally on a small whiteboard.
Going to try it out when school starts.  I'll post any tweaks I make after playing it with the kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on this post! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...